RE: Re: Steadfast Pop & Lock power tailgate not working (suggestions)

From: Tod Oace (tod@quay.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 21:47:56 EDT

> I have the same problem with mine. The part you need to bend is the piece
> that holds the sliding bracket. If anyone wants a project, how about
> modifying two of these things, one to fit on each side of the lock?
>
> I bent and assembled the lock and locking mechanism outside the
> tailgate to
> get the angle right. Too much and it will rub against the lift bars and
> cause wear, too little and it causes the handle to come up farther.

I was looking at mine and had the same idea about the two locks -- sure
seems like it would. It'd be nice to get it working with one though.

I'll take my assembly out of the tailgate and see if I can tweak it into
working. Thanks for the idea!

> Question to anyone... Can a piece of metal be welded on the end of the bar
> so it covers both levers of the handle? or can the bar be replaced with a
> longer one?

I made some phone calls and ended up talking with a guy at Mitech Ignition,
which seems to be the new owner of the Pop&Lock products. He said that
there is some change for the 2000 and 2001 Dakota models (mine is a 2001)
and said he could send me a new part once they get them made in about 4 to 6
weeks. The new part has something to do with the sliding piece of
metal...possibly a new sliding piece of metal. Sounded promising, so I
decided to wait and try it. I don't know if it'll fix the problem or not,
but I'll post the results when I find out. In the meantime I'll try the
bending approach.

Oh, one other problem I noticed with this lock... Even if it did work, it'd
be really easy to pull off the bezel around the handle and just push the
sliding piece of metal into the unlocked position. Seems like it wouldn't
be too difficult to build some kind of metal bracket to cover that up.
Would have to figure out a way to install it with that there though.

DML -- we modify *everything*. :-)

--
Tod Oace, tod@quay.com