2001 Dakota transfer case blew up

From: KenG (kkgardner@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 08:28:26 EDT

Driving along up on the highway at 60mph, heard a noise exactly
like what you would hear when you have a muffler dragging on the street.
Drove over to the dealer, they took a test drive, and I have a new transfer
case being installed on Tuesday!

They couldn't tell me (or wouldn't) what the exact problem is. They just
told me there was a problem with the TC, and they ordered a new one.

I am just curious if anybody here has any knowledge of whether or not this
is a common problem with the Dakota, and what the actual problem might be.
Needless to say, my confidence level in this truck has just taken a beating.

Truck info;

2001 Dakota club cab 4X4 sports "plus"
4.7 engine, auto
bought new 9-2000
7000 miles
"part time" 4X4 transfer case.

Noise only becomes noticeable at speeds of 50+
Worse when going into a dip in the road
Always careful when in 4X4. Don't use it on dry roads, ect.

Ken