RE: Re: RE: Header torque

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 09:59:34 EDT

Like Sam says, it depends on the type of header, actually more on the type
of flange it uses and the type of gasket you were given for it. The grade 8
bolts are good. The gaskets I got from Mike Leach were pretty thick, about
1/8" or better. I torqued them to 30 ft lbs. Putting on headers is tricky
though. Sometimes those flanges are the worse part. You need to get the
socket on squarely. If all your pressure is off to one side you are on your
way to snapping a bolt.

Now here's the trick if you want a good seal. When you first put those
things on, they're going to smell like something's burning. It'll be that
way for at least a couple weeks. That's normal. Until the smell goes away,
re-torque the bolts down every 3-4 days. After that they'll be seated and
no leaks.

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD