Re: overheating problems/dodge full of @#$%?

From: Jim Miller (jim76712@swbell.net)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 22:09:53 EDT

Radiator tubes get clogged by deposits in water, rust from inside the
block and old antifreeze etc. This restricts portions of the radiator
from flowing any water. this is like using a radiator that is too small
for the engine. Rodding out a radiator is where a radiator shop removes
one of the tanks and pushes flat rods through the tubes to knock out the
deposits and open up the clogged tubes. Now the radiator is back to
capacity. We see many late model veichles with clogged radiators run
hot no matter if the thermostat and water pump is working properly. It
is nearly impossible to tell if the tubes are clogged unless a radiator
shop removes the tank and checks the flow. We had a 98 Ram in last week
with 55% of the radiator clogged. Do not depend on a dealer for this
service because if they can even figure out what the problem is they
will probably try to sell a new radiator which may not be needed at
all. A clogged radiator will cause the engine to run hot even if
everything else is working OK. A radiator shop is much better equipped
to tell you this than a dealer. I should know, I have worked for a
radiator shop for 28 years.
jim in Waco.