Re: RE: RE: Stolen Spare Tire

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 00:02:21 EDT

That's the part number but it doesn't hang down. You replace the tube that goes
from the winch for the spare to the rear of the truck that you hook the handle
assembly into. Instead of being a solid tube that you lock into from the end
the new one is hollow and you have another piece that you hook onto the handle
assembly and it insert into the tube. The very end of the tube (above the winch
and inside the tube) is where the key is. The new piece that you have that goes
into the tube has the matching key on it. The thief has absolutely no way of
being able to see the key in the tube and this makes it much harder, unless he
has some decent time, for the thief to steal the tire. Found out all dealers
have master keys so if you take it in and it's there when you drop it off and
not there when you get it back they are the only ones who could take it.

Jeff Durling
'01 4x2 QC SLT+