steering

From: $pook (spook7@marshallnet.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 00:38:21 EDT

98 Dakota Sport extended cab, V6, Auto, 2 wheel drive.
Just recently I noticed that 'sometimes' when I am stopped and I turn
the steering wheel I hear a loud and distinctive 'scrape' ?? I guess it
is more like a door hinge squeeking. About a week ago I checked the
power steering fluid and it was about 1/2 a cup low. I filled it and
still get the 'squeek'. I find no obvious signs of leakage. I check
fluids once a week and this is the first time power steering has been
low. I am going to make an appointment with the dealer as it is still
under warranty for 5 more months. I guess my question is, what should
they be looking for? has anyone heard of this and is it a common issue?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

$pook