inspecting used vehicles

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (patrickandkelly@erols.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 08:07:54 EDT

Kyle-
  Just hearing that it was used to plow makes me scared! I'd sock $1000
away for a new tranny as soon as I bought it, because it's gonna come
faster on that truck than on a truck that was never used to plow. Ask
the guy for his maintenance receipts, especially when he changed the
tranny fluid after plowing and the lof receipts too. See if the truck
was equipped with the factory plow package, and, if not, see if it has
an add on tranny cooler. If neither, that's bad news, and someone didnt
know what they were doing.
  I'd also take the vin to the service department and have them run it
to find out what problems it has been in for under warranty. Crawl
under the truck and make sure the head gaskets arent leaking oil at the
rear corners, too. Very slight leaks can be found at low mileage, which
become big leaks in the future.
  Patrick