RE: Gas mileage gain with soft tonneau?

From: Sevrence, Sean (S.J.) (ssevrenc@visteon.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 11:24:45 EDT

Hey Corey!

I bought an Extang tonneau cover back in '92. I still have it and it works
like it did 9 years ago. There is some signs of wear, but minimal. I travel
80% highway so it was a must for me. I received 1.5mpg from this cover
alone! I can't remember the cost...too long ago. Since then, this cover is
pushing 275,000miles! So far I have saved over 1,500 gallons!! Tonneau Tonic
is a re-conditioner product by Extang that goes for <$8. It brings back the
water repellency (beading) and gives it the new look again. Good stuff and
that bottle will last many applications as it does not require a lot.

I highly suggest both a tonneau cover and the Extang brand. I have offset
snaps that give you the ability to tighten or loosen the cover based on the
temperature. Anyone that has ever tried to snap a tonneau cover in the
winter appreciates that feature! My Dad's S-10 did not have this and it was
near worthless without a heated garage.

Best of luck!
Sean
'92 RC Sport 3.9L 5spd - 250,000mi!