re: best Mod you did was...? on-board air

From: J. Courtenay Brandon (jcbrandon@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 14:44:27 EDT

The most useful thing I've done to my truck was
hard-mount a QuickAir 2 compressor in a toolbox bolted
inside the bed.

The ability to air back up anywhere means I can go
off-road anywhere and go places I couldn't otherwise.
Recently, in Colorado near the Gore Canyon and the
"upper C", I tried to climb a wet clay road. When I
got to the steepest part of the hill I lost traction
completely and quit moving forward. I had to back down
carefully while maneuvering to avoid a couple of
trees. I had planned to just back completely down the
hill and go elsewhere. But I decided to air down to
see what would happen. I went from the 32 psi that I
use on washboarded dirt to the 15 psi I use in most
other off-road conditions.

The truck climbed the hill without spinning a tire. I
was even able to stop intentionally in the same spot
that stalled me earlier and resume progress.

Last weekend in the central Sierra, I aired down and
then floated over a packed snowbank about three feet
deep and 100 feet wide. On the other side I met two
game wardens in a Ram 1500. They drove ten feet into
the snow and got stuck. The driver's response was lots
of throttle which only dug him in deeper while sliding
sideways toward a drop-off. As I was hooking up a
strap to pull him out he mumbled something about his
part-time four-wheel drive must not be working
correctly and how "these Dodges have all the weight in
the front, so they don't have very good traction."
Then I pulled him back onto dry ground. With my Dodge.
And plenty of traction.

My truck is a 2000 Club Cab Sport 4x4; 4.7 liter
automatic, full-time transfer case, limited-slip
rearend, 3.55 gears, 31 x 10.5 Wrangler tires. Besides
the air compressor I've added a Snugtop shell, a
Bedrug, Mopar front tow hooks, a Cobra 75WX compact cb
radio with a two-foot Firestik antenna on the roof, a
Mopar spare tire lock, a McGard tailgate lock, and an
electric tailgate latch lock. No regrets on any of
those. All money well spent.

cheers,

-J.