Re: Rear Main Seal

From: Leonard Price (lprice@consultronics.com)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 21:01:28 EDT

I really appreciate the reply. The info you supplied gives me an indication
of what to expect from the dealer with regards to repair. I haven't looked
at the rear of the intake manifold but all preliminary indications are
that it is not flowing down from the top of the engine. I will however make
another check. Thank you once again.
At 07:04 PM 6/7/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>although less prone on post '95 models, your leak *could* be coming from
>the rear intake manifold gasket... The rear main can be done w/ the motor
>and trans in the truck, although to drop the oil pan
>
>(2wd) the motor may have to come out of the mounts (4wd) the front axle
>dropped.
>
>Then they'll remove the rear main bearing cap, R&R the seal, reinstall
>everything
>

>On 2001.06.07 08:59 Leonard Price wrote:
> >

> > Every time I park my truck (1998 CC 5.2L Dak) there is a small oil
> > spot
> > on the ground and I have more or less come to the conclusion that its the
> >
> > "Rear Main Oil Seal" . I looked it up in the service manual and it gives
> > very simplistic procedure and it indicates this is for the 2.5L engine,
> > however I assume that the procedure is the same in a 5.2L. My question
> > is,
> > what can I expect the dealer to do. IE. will he be able to do a decent
> > job
> > with the motor in place and the transmission in place as well or will he
> > remove the transmission and proceed that way, etc etc. Keep in mind the
> > is
> > new to me but I want to know the procedure. In the service manual it
> > mentions that "New bolts MUST be used when installing the flywheel or
> > converter plate. Could someone put down the steps in a bullet form so
> > that
> > I can get a better understanding. Thanks for all supplied info.
> >

> > Leonard A. Price
> > lprice@consultronics.com
> > ICQ # 144893
> >

>--