Steering Column Problem....

Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 09:52:29 EDT

DMLers,

I have a 1997 Dakota Sport Club Cab 2WD w/Tilt Steering and 68K on the
clock. The problem is that the steering wheel would make a cluncking sound
when parking or heavy turning. I called the dealer and they said there was a
TSB on the problem. I read the TSB and it said to retighten the steering
column etc.

I took the truck into the dealer yesterday and they said the steering column
should be replaced because the bearings are worn and it could potentially
seize. I have an extended 7/75 powertrain plus factory warranty but it would
not cover the part. The new steering column cost $605 and the dealer took
2016030267125ff so it ended up costing with labor $521 (ouch!!!).
I'm a little mad at DC that a steering column with defective bearings that
could be potentially dangerous is not covered under some kind of
recall/warranty extension.

I have the old column and it's part number is not the same as the
replacement and the shift rod looks different also. My father has a 2000
Durango and it has the same shifter so this is the new and improved design.
When driving I noticed that the it feels much more tighter even better than
when the truck was new. So needless to say DC modified this column for a
reason.

So my question is has anybody experienced the clunking sound on the 97-98
Dakota's and did you have the dealer fix it ? If that did fix it what did
they do ? Do you think DC should cover some of the cost for a potentially
dangerous problem ?

Thanks,
Jim