Grand Bend (breaking the jinx)

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 08:38:53 EDT

A week ago Saturday, three of the MOST senior DML members
came up to St. Thomas Dragway for a poorly-run Mopar event.
I shan't name them but their initials are J.B., N.B. and J.S.

I looked at all the factors involved and concluded that those 3
threw a bigtime jinx on me. Not only did I not run a 14.8x
for the first time this year but I also not get out of the 15.

Yesterday at Grand Bend (without the pleasure of their company (:8)),
I ran off a 14.85 and 14.83, with a couple of 2.0x 60' times, my first
time on this track.

The final four in the truck class were all Dakotas. Jim Knox and
I went out the semis, and Rich Middleton (an almost converted
MMLer) picked up a 2nd place trophy.

Most of the trucks were Rams (and not the newer types). I had
to spot a Ram a 2.90 sec. lead in round one and 'dominated'
with a 3/100 win. In round two, I had to spot another Ram
a 4.21 sec. lead and got a win on his breakout ... I dialled
a 14.92 and finished with a 14.991 with a bigtime lift to cross
at 83.16 mph ... my 1/8 time indicated a 14.8, possibly
a 14.7 run. Round 3 was a disaster (enough said).

Grand Bend is, by far, the best track of the 3 in Ontario.
Too bad it's so far from the populated areas (Lake Huron).
If you MI DMLers can make it next year, the WOMO club
puts on a first rate show and the track personnel were absolutely
top-notch and professional. The pit area was great ...
10' x 122' spots ... we put up a 10'x 10' shade tent and
it saved us from the hot sun ... I did get somewhat
burnt from the redlights that I was popping though :-)

Bob