RE: Re: MSD

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 03:18:35 EDT

The difference between a standard MSD box and your standard ignition is a
boost in primary voltage. Instead of 12-volts primary power being
introduced to the coil, the MSD box boosts the voltage to 270-volts. On an
MSD Blaster SS coil I believe the 270 gets boosted to 48K-volts secondary.
Std ignition and MSD Blaster coil nets about 28K-volts at the plugs. What
does all this buy you? Better ignition and more complete combustion.
That's why your gap can be opened up with an MSD box. 48K-volts can jump
farther than 28K-volts.

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD