Re: Calling all A/C experts!!

From: Jim Miller (jim76712@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 00:38:37 EDT

Please let me caution you that refrigerant systems can be dangerous to work on
of you are not properly trained. You can injure yourself and ruin expensive
components if you are not careful. Enough of the caution, that is not what you
want to hear. I need to know what your high and low side gauge readings are and
idle speed. On a 90 degree day they should be around 30 to 45 on the low
pressure side and between 150 and 250 on the high side. If the high side
quickly rises above 325 you may not be moving enough air through the condenser
coil. If that is the case check to see that your fan clutch if equipped is
slipping too much. If that is ok and the gauge readings are ok, see how cold
the accumulator is getting. The canister usually black near the passenger side
firewall should be very cold and sweating. Also the large line to the
compressor should be sweating also. If these are true, check under the dash to
see if the warm cold door is closing all the way in the cold setting. If not
heater air is mixing with the cool air. It is probably cable operated on your
truck. If necessary, adjust this. Also if you are low on refrigerant or too
high the ac will not cool well. There are many other things to check but this
should give you a place to start. Email me privately if you wish.
jim76712@swbell.net.
Jim in Waco.
99 R/T RC
28 years in the auto ac business.