Bucket Seat[s] in my Dak

From: Alek Benedict (alek@sigecom.net)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 17:54:07 EDT

Hi folks,

Dunno if anyone remembers but awhile ago I posted a message asking for
ideas on getting more legroom in my RC Gen II.

Well, today, in a burst of motivation, I managed to put the leather
bucket seat from my RX-7 into my Dak. Didn't have the time [or the
materials] to get the passenger seat in, so the interior looks kinda
bare [but the extra space is nice!].

I don't know if this'll help in the leg room department, but bucket
seats and no leg room is better than a bench seat and no leg room, at
least IMHO.

The cool thing is the rails from the stock Dak bench bolted right onto
the buckets from my RX-7. I was amazed, the holes were pretty much
exactly the right distance apart.

The problems came elsewhere. The RX-7 seats are more narrow than a
Dak bucket seat, so I had to fab a little adapter plate to get the rear
right side bolted down. Right now it's only being held down in three
places, but it's pretty secure. There's no connection on the right front
of the seat, but I'm sure I'll come up with something once I have more
time and more materials.

There were also lots of little run-ins with the ratcheting slide
mechanism, but I managed to solve them with a little technical know-how
and a hammer. :D

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I'll try to get some pictures taken
and do a write-up/how-to type thing. I'll probably wait a week or so to
worry about the passenger seat, as I don't usually have any passengers.
[And I'm lazy, and it's SO HOT! and and and ... :D ]

I'll post tonight after I get off work to let you all know if it
increased leg room or not.

--
Alek Benedict with a techno beat.
[email] alek@sigecom.net [web] http://members.sigecom.net/alek