RE: RE: new website!!! version 2.0...much better :)

From: yllwdkta (yllwdkta@insight.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 14:38:37 EDT

sorry to give you the impression that I have it installed (if you would have
click the how-to page you would have seen some of my troubles)...It has been
one hell of an event! Don't let this discourage you to not buy it.
Everyone that I have talked to said that it installed in less than 1 hour.

I went to install it before the Ohio meet. I had everything out and went to
put the locker in and it wouldn't fit. I finally put the stock spider gears
in and closed it up since it was 3:30 am and I had to be at the meet at 9:00
am with an hour drive and I wasn't done packing. Not fun! I raced it that
weekend with the open diff back together.

I took it to a friends house, James (DMLer!) to help install it. His dad
took the pinion shaft retaining bolt out and it was broke. When I put it
back together something wasn't aligned right and there for broke the bolt.
The only way to get the rear end apart was to take the whole carrier out.
Not fun. We put it back together and I limped it home. It took it to the
dealer to see if they would warranty the part and they did (what they don't
know doesn't hurt them). Since I have a whole new rear-end, I decided to
take my truck to Carlisle with the open diff and then when I get back I will
install it.

>From what I have heard from many other guys that have this same thing in
there DAK's, they say that after the first 50 or so mile it quiets down. It
is still of course a locker and if you accelerate hard before you start your
turn and then turn while still on the gas you will squeal and maybe spin
out. That's natural when your get the locker to stay locked. From what I
have heard you do need to learn how the truck acts again but not much. I
will tell you how it goes in a couple of weeks. if I forget then don't
hesitate to email me personally and I will let you know.

Tim Althoff
http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/yellowdakota/index.html
99 Solar Yellow RC V-6 Manual