RE: Fwd: DMLFAQ Submission

From: Shawn Bowen (Shawn@bowen.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 19:13:44 EDT

Ditch the back seat and build a custom box that "ride" the hump nicely in a
CC... You will have to take a seat out to put it in (no big deal), it would
sound A LOT better than the Thunderform I had but eat up most of the CC. I
swear by Fosgate 12's and 15's, I have a set I've used for 10+ years that
still sound incredible.

On the regular cab it would take some SERIOUS work to build a box to get the
amount of air you need to Fire any sub. 10's usually need 1.5 Cubic feet of
air each and the larger the woofer the more air is needed. I would not buy
the premade Circuit City boxes or anything like them; even if they fit they
will not sound right due to their size limitations. You best bet is to find
a quality 10" or 12" speaker, get the airspace specs from the manufacturer
and build a custom box to meet that space EXACTLY. Go for a sealed
enclosure, they resonate much better and require far less airspace and AMP
power to operate efficiently. You can add some cotton fibre filler (Like a
lot of cotton balls if you don't know what I'm talking about" and it will
"act" like there is actually more air space, use this if you fall a
"little" short on the required airspace. Build the box(s) out of 3/4" MDF
(medium density fiber board) and don't forget to subtract the wood width
from the dimensions when calculating the internal volume (airspace). Always
seal the internal boxes with silicon around all the joints and let it cure.

Always try to make 2 chamber boxes for 2 speakers and make SURE to seal all
the joints. You can get carpet to match your interior from lot's of places,
use 3M adhesive to apply it and make the cuts on the back of the box.

Shawn