Dak Infinity Sound System Upgrade Problems

From: Mark.Mullen@t-online.de
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 03:20:58 EDT

Hi Guys,

Been a long time since I've posted to the list, but when you have a
problem it's always best to go to the experts. Right?

Well anyway, here is the situation. I've got a 94 Dak with the infinity
sound system, or well at least part of it. This is not the first time
I've modified it. I'm currently changing from one aftermarket head unit
to another while still utilizing the original rear speakers and their
respective amps. Prior to this upgrade everything worked beutifuly.
However, after the installation of the new head unit I noticed after a
few minutes of playback the rear speakers will cut out. I happen to
have the Chrysler service manual for my truck so I started
troubleshooting. What I've discovered is that in the dash near the
glove box is a "Relay & Filter Choke". Do any of you know what purpose
this serves? Even with schematics I can't figure it out, maybe a
crossover of sorts or a filtered power supply for the speaker amps?

I've ensured that its getting power, via the blue wire in the factory
harness, and that it has a good ground, via the black/green wire on the
ground log on the back of the stereo. However, after a few minutes of
operation it just switches off. No consistancey in time either, as it
would be if it were temperature related or something.

The very helpfull trouble shooting charts in the service manual state
if you suspect a faulty "Choke/Relay" substitute it with a known good
one. As if I would have one in my garage or something.

Can this thing be bypassed? or should it be replaced?

Any assistance you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
94 Mark III 5.2L on the autobahns of Germany.