Re: stock fan removal

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 17:09:40 EDT

Matt,
  It seems to me that mine was NOT counter-clockwise threads when I took
mine off to replace the timing chain. Mine was TIGHT like yours. I ended
up using heat (propane torch) to get mine off. The propane should be enough
heat to loosen it. I wish I had the MAPP gas torch I have now though...a
lot hotter...probably would have worked better.
Here is part of my "how-to" on replacing the timing chain:

6. You can now remove the fan itself. Locate the large nut on the back of
the fan. Get a pair of large Channel locks and a big square shaft screw
driver. Place the channel locks in your right hand and the screw driver in
your left had. Wedge the screwdriver in the smaller bolts, which surround
the larger nut, on the crank pulley. Then grab onto the large nut with the
channel locks. Pull UP with the channel locks to free the nut. Continue
until the nut is completely off. Remember, the nut is what holds the fan
on, so hold on to the fan so it doesn’t fall. Once the fan is off, it and
the shroud can be removed from the engine compartment. (This is the first
step of many that a friend really comes in handy!)"

This is kinda directed towards people who still have the fan on the engine,
but I did like you and took it out first by removing the waterpump. I then
removed the fan from the waterpump while it sat on a bench. Hope this
confuses you throughly. If you are replacing the timing chain, let me know
and I'll send you my "how-to" which may provide you with a little
assistance.
--Aaron--
95 DSRC 4x4 V6
www.geocities.com/adakota4x4_95/