Re: RE: MOBIL 1 Synthetic

From: \(MAGNUM S/T\) (hoegen@kersur.net)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 20:30:43 EDT

My understanding is that the "thicker" the oil...the more protection from
friction. I come from the old school which says 10W-30 in the winter
(slightly thinner to help with cold starts) and 10W-40 in the summer
(thicker=more protection). But MOBIL-1 has other grades such as 5W-50 etc. I
ask about the 'grades' because a buddy of mine used the 5W in his
truck???..and when I went to get oil the other day, I found that MOBIL-1
carries a bunch of different grades and types (ie tri-synthetic, synthetic
along with the different grades) To behonest, I'm not sure what the numbers
represent, although I would imagine that there is a MAX viscosity which you
can place in your vehicle...above which would be TOO thick and may lead to
blown seals etc.
Lately I have noticed the the Dak is burning oil....not that I can see...but
because my level has been low a number of times, even though I religiously
change oil every 30k...and it's always MOBIL-1 Synthetic. (no leaks that I
can see). I thought maybe if I upgrade to a thicker oil, it may reduce
this??

Thanks again,

--
Kevin
99 Solar Yellow Magnum S/T

""Bernd D. Ratsch"" <bernd@texas.net> wrote in message news:000f01c10b2c$e6621a20$040aa8c0@homenet.com... > Same thing you've been running since day-one. It's a good all-around > oil. > > - Bernd > > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET > [mailto:owner-dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET] On Behalf Of (MAGNUM S/T) > Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2001 1:45 PM > To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net > Subject: DML: MOBIL 1 Synthetic > > > I've been using MOBIL-1 Synthetic oil from day one that I woned my Dak. > Now that summer is here, I'd like to put the highest allowable grade I > can for the most protection...instead of the typical 10W-40. What do you > guys recommend for Summer and Winter oil grade (ie 5W-30 etc...)? > > > >