Re: 2nd Battery Install

From: Jim Miller (jim76712@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 18:19:55 EDT

Been there, done that. I mounted the battery in a plastic battery box like
used in boats just in case of acid spillage and mounted the box in the
passenger side of the bed right behind the cab. (I had a bed cover so it
was not seen). Ran #4 copper stereo power cable from the battery under the
hood and used another piece to ground the aux. battery to the frame under
the bed. Under the hood I used a 100 amp battery isolator that I bought
from an auto supply (don't remember the cost, about 50 I think) and followed
the instructions that came with it. You run the output wire from the
alternator to the center pose and then connect a #4 wire from 1 end post to
the factory battery and the other end post to the aux. battery+. Ren my
stereo amps from the aux. battery and the rest of the truck on the stock
battery. Never had a problem with that setup.