Re: Re: 360 oil pan

From: Doug Myers (dougmyers@starpower.net)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 22:50:54 EDT

My 360 Ram oil pan also has a rear sump. I thought all trucks did. The
reason I'm concerned is that the sump portion of the pan looks much larger
than the 318's does.

Doug Myers
-------------
'99 Dakota RC/SB 5.2L/5-speed/3.92SG
K&N Gen II, B&F Billet TB, Hughes Stage 1 Intake, 180 T-stat,
MP cam, MP headers, MP catback, MP plug wires, Accel Supercoil,
Custom Computer by Ron Zimmer, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

"Shane Moseley" <smoseley@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> All 318 and 340 pans will interchange as they share the same mains. The
360
> pans differ - larger mains as stated. Both are true for all magnum and
> LA-motors.
>
> I have a chrome 318/340 pan for sale if anyone is interested. Not sure if
it
> is for a truck or a car (rear vs front sump) - will check if anyone is
> interested.
>
> Also a correction to part of a previous post. A ram has a rear sump just
like
> a dakota. I have pictures of 2 ram 360 pans if anyone is interested.
>
> Latr,
>
> Shane
>
> "Steven T. Ekstrand" wrote:
>
> > Why would placement of the sump require a different gasket?
> >
> > On the old engines (which is ALL I know), the 360 had a cast crank with
> > longer stroke than the old 3.31 stroke forged crank motors. To allow
the
> > long throw cast crank to survive Ma Mopar increased the diameter of the
> > mains. This required a different oil pan between a 273/318/340 small
main
> > engine and a large main 360.
> >
> > If you held the two pans up the difference would be in the half circle
dip
> > at each end. The 360 has a bigger half circle cut out.
> >
> > NOW!!! That is true for the old engines.
> >
> > What is the case with the modern magnum's??? Did they increase the
> > diameter of the mains on the later 318? I can't imagine they would. If
> > that were the case then a 360 crank would fit in a 318 magnum without
mods
> > (requiring custom pistons though)??? This just doesn't sound right.
> >
> > -STE

> > | for the gaskets then? 318 takes P5249931, 360 takes P5249932. Why
would
> > they
> > | need two different gaskets for the same oil pan? If you did use a 318
oil
> > | pan on your engine, then cool.... I just want to make sure I don't run
> > into
> > | any problems.<<
> > |
> > | the gaskets are different because the pans are different. The 318 pan
> > will
> > | fit a 360. The difference in the 2 pans is the sump. It's in the
middle
> > on a
> > | Ram and in the rear on a Dakota. As far as I know, we re-used my
oil-pan
> > | gasket since the engine had never been run.
> > |
> > | -miggity
> > |

> --
> '96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI TB Pulleys RTcam MPComp HVoilpump
DynaGearDoubleRoller