Re: warped rotors

From: WOT or waiting at a Red (dakatack@home.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 12:10:06 EDT

According to my Mechanical Engineer friend, who studied this problem in
industrial rotor based breaking systems, the warp can often be avoided.

After hard breaking the whole rotor is hot and while the break holds the
rotor, the surface under the break pad cools much slower then the rest of
the rotor. This is one major reason rotors warp.

If after you stop, you put the gears in neutral and release the stopping
pads, problem gone.

He also suggested not washing the truck for 20 min or so after getting home.
The water spray hits the rotor everywhere but under the pad and cools those
surfaces faster, warpage again.

I asked about car washes and he said, the wheel is rolling and the whole
rotor get wet and cools evenly.