Re: Bruces virus?

From: Dan Burrows (vantage@adams.net)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 19:05:28 EDT

All microsoft operating systems from DOS to ME have scrpt suports that will hide
extensions. I used to do this all the time, for example. (the name of the file
would be Armitage.avi.vbs, Okay so Armitage.avi is the file name, the .vbs is
the extension wich is hidden. All you would see is Armitage.avi) If U use mIRC to
chat you might know about the "LifeStagesVirus". The first writer of this file
jsut made it life stages.vbs. Then the seccond writer made it LifeStages.tvt
BIG SPACE .vbs. This made the space so big that U could not actually see the
true extension. The seccond writer used the microsoft trick to hide the extension
completely.
Here is what U can do to look at the C behind the virus......Hold SHIFT down
while right clicking on the file. A lil box will come up to the right of the file
with your normal listings......BUT since you held shif down there will be a new
option "OpenWith". Click that one. Then another box will come up listing all your
programs. Select the windows progtam called "Notepad.exe". This will only show U
the C and not install anything on your computer.
If you send me the file at Vantage@adams.net I can try and write you a fix.
I bet ten to one that the virus makes a script in your regedit file then renames
it.