Re: Finally recovering from Carlisle

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 15:18:50 EDT

Bob Tom <tigers@bserv.com> wrote:
: At 03:08 PM 7/20/01 +0000, you wrote:
:>-- SNIP --
:>BTW, if anyone is interested in checking it out, I threw together
:>a little page with some specs, sounds, and pics at:
:>http://www.jonsteiger.com/WWW/BARRACUDA -- Jon

: IT LOOKS TO BE IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE !

  Yep, its pretty good. Looks to be straight, there are a couple of
little dents and chips, but I've seen MUCH worse. :-)

: 7/19/2001:

: Did my second fill up today so I had an opportunity to check the gas
: mileage. Correcting for the odometer error, I got about 11.3mpg. This
: is mostly "city" driving, but fairly tame driving for the most part. --SNIP--

: I THINK THAT PRETTY GOOD MPG. I GET ABOUT 12 - 12.5 MPG
: IN THE 383.

  I actually made a mistake on that. (Not enough sleep and too
much work.) I completely forgot to account for the 4 gallons extra
I put in! I actually got 8.25mpg that trip.

: Well, I got a taste of what its like to own one of these "old tech" cars today.
: A couple of times, when it first started, it would quit right away. I figured
: I'm probably doing something wrong with the startup and didn't think too much
: about it, until after getting some dinner at Wendys around 9:30, it wouldn't
: stay started, and finally didn't want to start, --SNIP--

: SOUNDS LIKE A CARB & CHOKE ADJUSTMENT IS NEEDED. IF
: IT'S SET UP AND ENGINE IS COLD, DEPRESS ACCEL PEDAL TO
: FLOOR FULLY AND RELEASE SLOWLY (MAY NEED TO DO THIS
: A COUPLE OF TIMES), WITH FOOT OFF PEDAL TURN KEY. IT
: START AT FAIRLY HIGH REV. WAIT UNTIL COOLANT NEEDLE
: MOVES ONE NOTCH BEFORE KICKING OFF THE CHOKE WITH
: THE PEDAL.

   Its really easy to start when cold, I just followed the advice
of the prior owner who said to pump the gas 4 times. It starts up
almost immediately. Its when its warm that I've been having problems;
I think I've been flooding it though. I've had fairly good luck
starting it by not touching the gas at all once its warmed up. I'm
getting a stumble when I get on the gas agressively though, and it died
on me on the way home today... Finally started back up and I made it
home. So looks like I've got some gremlins to work out. Anyone
know of a good, inexpensive TBI EFI setup capable of supporting
450-500hp?

: SORRY FOR THE SHOUTING BUT I'M JUST GREEN WITH ENVY
: WITH THAT CHROMED PASSENGER SIDE MIRROR. I GOT MY CHALLENGER
: IN DEC. '93 AND HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR TYPE OF MIRROR EVER
: SINCE ... ARGH! IF YOU NEED SOME MONEY AND EVER WANT TO REPLACE
: YOUR MIRRORS WITH A SET OF RALLYE MIRRORS (FROM A '71 CUDA
: ... A BIT LARGER THAN THE ONES ON THE '70)) THAT IS COLOUR KEYED,
: GIVE ME A SHOUT.

    Will do. :-) (No luck at the Nats or ACN I take it?)

  Dakota content: My Dak has spoiled me! I don't know how you
ol' timers ;-) put up with carbs for so long! :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'