Re: nitrous install

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 16:54:10 EDT

Marty Galyean <mgalyean@acm.org> wrote:
: Nitrous isn't 'fuel', it's 'AIR'. No carbons or hydrogens. Think about
: it: one nitrogen and two oxygens. It like a super charger in that it
: supplies more air burnable air. Its up to your fuel system to match
: that with fuel for combustion. It should be upstream of the TB.

: Am I wrong here?

    I don't mean to be a stickler here ;-) but its two nitrogen atoms
and one oxygen. (N2O) The systems that make the best power are
the fogger style, which inject nitrous and fuel into each runner.
(Its analagous to MPI vs TBI) They are a bit pricey though.

   Personally, I'm not a big fan of the dry nitrous systems that require
"internal" fuel enrichment, these generally just raise the fuel pressure
to the injectors, which runs them at a much higher pressure than they
were designed to; as long as you have a wet intake manifold that will
flow fuel, that'd be the way I'd be looking to go (i.e. not the stock
"beer barrel"). As far as upstream or downstream of the TB goes, if it
were my truck, give me my nitrous downstream of the TB. :-) The TB
was designed to flow air, and IMHO, if it can be restricted to flowing
just air, that'd be best in my book. If you have the 4bbl MPI intake,
NX has a nice plate system which adjusts from somewhere between 50 and
300hp. Keep in mind though that I have no personal experience with
nitrous, just lots of research and theory.

  As far as how nitrous makes power, it has greater oxygen content per
volume than air, so you are cramming more oxygen molecules into the motor
than usual, and thus when the correct amount of fuel is added, you have
more burnable mixture than usual. There is also power to be made from
the cooling effect of nitrous as it goes from a liquid to a gas. This
isn't insignificant by any means, this cooling can account for perhaps
20-30hp on a typical install. (I forget the formula, but there are some
variables here, obviously the more nitrous you use, the more the cooling
effect.) Also, although this isn't a power builder in itself, the
nitrogen acts as a sort of buffer, which can help to cushion some of the
violent forces being developed.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'