Re: Fuel System Mods was: Away for a week...

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 10:48:12 EDT

TonyC wrote:

> Curious what fuel mods have been attempted on Gen III systems.
>
> 1) has anyone gone HP aftermarket for the fuel pumps/regulators

I haven't but want to. Most will say that you can't modify the system
because the fuel pump module (w/filter/regulator/etc) is in the tank. Also
because there is no return line. This couldn't be further from the truth.
Here's an idea - using your existing returnless system - replace the fuel
pump module w/an in-tank (or external) higher-flowing pump, use an external
adjustable non-boost/vacuum referenced regulator and run a short (few inches
is ok) return line back to the tank. This will allow for great adjustability
with minimal modifications to the stock setup.

A better way would of course be to run a full return line all the way from
the rails back to the tank w/an adjustable boost/vacuum referenced regulator
at the rails. This non-deadhead type setup will keep not only the fuel but
the pump, regulator and everything in between cooler. You could even run a
cooler or cool-can type setup for further cooling. Vapor lock would be next
to impossible w/this setup.

> 2) Does anyone besides FMS make higher pph injectors to fit.

How about Mopar Performance - this way you are guaranteed compatibility, have
all Mopar parts, and cost can be less than half of the cheapest competitors.
(Mancini Racing had them for $10ea - thats $80 compared to $200 for FMS
parts).

> 3) anyone make larger/better fuel rails

http://www.intenseperformance.com was making them also but don't think they
are anymore. I'd opt for a custom set considering that raw fuel rail stock
can be had for around $6-$12 per foot. A couple of feet of stock, some
machining, and you'll have a larger/better set of rails for less than $50
plus your labor.

Try http://www.azspeed.com under Products->FuelInjection->Accessories for the
rail stock for $12 per foot p/n ASM-1018 (it used to be on sale for $6 per
foot).

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI TB Pulleys RTcam MPComp HVoilpump
DynaGearDoubleRoller WindageTray CompTAs