Re: Check Engine light on

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 11:19:23 EDT

At 09:04 PM 7/26/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Maybe, but how does the computer know it's dead plugs rather than the
>engine running too rich, or something else? On-board computers aren't that
>intelligent.

As near as I can find, our computer will pick up a cylinder misfire via the
crankshaft sensor. Matter of fact, when I changed injectors the other day,
I triggered the Check Engine light and it set a code saying that there was
a misfire in cyl. #4. Probably happened when I was purging as much
gas from the fuel line/rail as possible.

As for a dead plug, I don't know. Jim, when he got back from Carlisle, noticed
one of the boots was not tightly snugged on a plug. He figures that he was
running on 7 cylinders. Did not notice as he ran with his exhaust open on
the way back :-) He did not mention that it triggered the MIL.

And I thought only the 4x4s did the crazies :-)

The oldest Bob