Re: damage from spinning tires

From: TonyC (acellan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 23:24:03 EDT

There is quite a difference between a burnout, and spinning them on ice.
FRICTION.
The issue with either though is that period when the tires actually hook up,
either due to
decelerating the drive train during a burnout or leaving an ice patch. The
axles and the rest
of the drive train take a pounding, enough to break a tooth off a
ring/pinion gear, snap an axle,
blow a u-joint etc.
Moral of the story, don't abuse the equipment if you can't afford to fix it,
or get the dealer to under warranty.
Oops, did I say that. ;-)

TonyC
PS If you are under warranty, remember to wipe the rubber chunks out of the
wheelwells BEFORE calling the dealer.