Re: High oil pressure

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 21:23:26 EDT

Actually, it has the opposite effect. Rather than reading individual
letters, the eye picks up word shapes and interprets those. Which is why
some misspellings are so $&@(*)& difficult to pick up - you're not looking
at the letters, you're looking at a picture. A lot of times, when I can't
figure out why a program isn't working right, I'll have someone else look
at it. Usually the misspelling will pop right out at them because they
have no preconceived notion of what word picture should be there.

Now, when we see ALL CAPS, all the words are pretty much the same - a
rectangle. Which means to read it all, you have to go very slowly and look
at the letters themselves. This makes it very difficult to read.

Compare:
SHE SELLS SEASHELLS BY THE SEASHORE
She sells seashells by the seashore

Draw a line around each word. Notice how in the upper example, they're
all boxes. In the lower example, each word is unique.

This isn't a joke. I actually took a class on web page design where this
was discussed for quite a bit longer than it's taken me to write this.

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com