Re: Rear Disks

From: Darren Asuncion (dakotaguy1999@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 03:30:25 EDT

Hey there,

I was thinking about converting to rear disks on my '99 as well. I was
never overly impressed w/ the braking power of the Gen III Dakota,
especially when loaded... Only thing I came up with was at
http://www.ssbrakes.com/pages/Results.asp?carMake=Dodge%20Truck&carModel=110
&carYear=94-00 .

These kits cost $725, which is a bit high for what I'd like to spend, but I
really want the disc brakes on the rear. If someone is able to negotiate a
group buy for these, I'd be very interested! The Jeep Grand Cherokees with
the disc brakes have either Dana 35C or Dana 44 rear axle setups. These
axles won't fit without major modification because of the coil spring setup
on the Grand Cherokees vs the leaf springs on the Daks. Additionally, the
Jeeps have a 5-bolt lug pattern, these will not work w/ the Dakota's 6-lug
wheels... The regular Cherokee (XJ) came with either Dana 35C or Chrysler
8.25 axles (leaf spring setup), but never came w/ rear discs from the
factory...

Anyway hope this helps. If anyone knows of a rear disc conversion kit
that's cheaper than this one, please let me know!

Darren Asuncion
Kodiak, AK
'99 Intense Blue CC Sport +, 4x4, 5.2 V8, 44RE auto, 3.55 lsd (8.25"),
4wheel ABS, 31" BFG All-terrain KO
http://www.geocities.com/dakotaguy1999/dakota.html

p.s. My poor Dakota goes through at least 1 set of balljoints and tie-rod
ends every year. This is one major reason why I purchased the extended
"added care" 7/75 warranty. Guess Dodge didn't engineer these parts strong
enough for daily driving in Alaska (or anywhere else for that matter)... No
luck here finding good aftermarket parts either. :(