What to watch for? WTB 98 Dakota

From: Dean Liu (windsurf_dean@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 09:08:02 EDT

Hi, I'm new to the list. Will be looking at a 98
Dakota Sport over the weekend at an used car lot. I'm
new to Mopar, hoping experienced owners could point me
to "what to look out for" items and insights.
Thanks in advance.

Here's the spec:
98 Dakota Sport, long bed, 3.9L V6, AT. AC, sun roof,
sliding window, bedliner, cassette, cd changer,
27k miles, $11k. VIN = 1B7FL26X1WS######
(checked the VIN decoder already)

Dealer web page photo showed fog lamp & 5 spoke (fat)
wheels. It's been in the local autotrader for at least
3 weeks. Web page price was $12k, was advertised in
autotrader for $11k.

A brief summary of my mission for this vehicle....
I'm a windsurfer and wanted a NON-full size truck to
haul my windsurfing boards, masts, sails...etc. Hence
looking for 8' longbed. Plan to put a shell over the
bed and bolt roof racks on top of that. Board on top
and other equip locked up inside. Possiblely install
running boards for easier roof access. Currently have
an old 1st Gen 4Runner that's just not big enough,
plus I don't really need the backseats. Waned
something
a bit bigger than regular pick-ups and long bed. Want
reasonable gas mileage and don't need full-size...
learned about the "mid-size" Dakotas and researched
out the 97-99 yrs to have the long beds.
So here I am.

Dean

=====