Re: Hot engine

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 08:52:10 EDT

At 02:55 AM 8/2/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey, my 3.9L has always seemed to run hot, I mean, the temp gauge says it
>ok, and I've never had any problems with it, but it just seems really hot to
>me. I mean, there's usually so much heat coming into the cab it feels like
>I have the heater on low. Would a 180 or 160 t-stat fix that? And if so,
>how does going with a lower t-stat affect other things, like gas mileage,
>power, stuff like that? Thanks :) Dave

A lower degree tstat determines what the MINIMUM coolant temperature
can be when the engine is operating and fully warmed up. It does not
determine the MAXIMUM coolant temp. under those same conditions.
MAXIMUM coolant temp. is determined by other factors, mainly the condition/
efficiency of your cooling system and the type of driving conditions. HTH.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG