Re: Hot engine

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 20:47:34 EDT

At 05:34 PM 8/3/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I really don't want to argue about this but a thought crossed my mind and I
>thought I would throw it out there. Suppose your cooling system were in good
>enough shape to be able to limit the engine temps to 15 degrees hotter
>than when
>the thermostat opens fully (sounds reasonable). Now lets say you compared
>running a 160 degree stat to a 195 (stock) stat in that same engine/cooling
>system. With the 160, your engine temp max becomes 175 and w/the 195
>stat, the
>engine temp max becomes 210. Couldn't you say that this limited the maximum
>engine coolant temp?
>
>I believe I thought of this because its what happened in my case. Prior
>to the
>180 stat, I had engine temps that reached 210 degrees (100 degree ambient,
>sitting in traffic). Now it never gets over about 195.
>
>Comments?

No arguments here. I just wanted to stress the point that a tstat's
rated degrees doesn't mean that the coolant temp. will never exceed
this rating (a common misconception). As usual, my use of caps brought
in implications that ruined my attempted articulate explanation :-)

I have similar results but I'm not quite sure how much of the lower temps
is a result of the 180F tstat or of the added water and water wetter
to the anti-freeze mix that I use. I did run just the 180 tstat for awhile
before adding more h20 and water wetter but the gas/rubber fumes
and open exhausts have scrambled my memory cells :-)

Bob