Re: Gen I Gas mileage and Gen II noises

From: Geoff (geoff_fahl_1@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 21:39:43 EDT

I have a gen II dakota with a v6. I get 12 mpg highway or city wether I
floor it or drive like grandma. my engine has also had a strange pinging
sound from the back of the engine that I can't diagnose. This has always
bothered me, and is just getting louder. The noise sounds like a pinging
sound coming from the area around the distributor cap/rotor. I've replaced
the rotor and cap several times but it's still there. Any related info is
appreciated.

Geoff

by the way my truck also runs 15's in the 1/4 mile so that might have
something to do with my milage
<jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message
> I promised a friend of mine I'd check on his gas mileage for him to see
> what everyone else is getting. The truck is a '91 (pre-mag) V8 with
> a few bolt ons (intake, exhaust, etc.) It has never really gotten
> better than 12mpg, *highway*. That, combined with the 15 gallon tank,
> means he can only go 120-130 miles between fill ups. Anybody else
> out there have any Gen I gas mileage records? How does this compare?
> Any thoughts as far as what to do to improve it?
>
> (Some of you know the truck, it belongs to Jim Knox; honorary DMLer)
:-)

jon@jonsteiger.com -----.

http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'