Re: Rotors Again!!!...3rd time so far

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 12:35:49 EDT

Andy Levy <andylevy@yahoo.com> wrote:
: Ask them to make sure they use a torque wrench on your lugs. Sounds like the
: spark plug gorilla's got a cousin in your dealer's garage.

  Yep, I hear a lot of problems regarding rotors here on the DML, maybe
its just with the Gen III's, in which case just ignore me, but my '96
is coming up on 80,000 miles, and its still on the stock rotors, never
been turned. I always use a torque wrench and the proper tightening
sequence when the wheels come off; whenever someone else works on the
truck (getting new tires installed, for example), as soon as I get
home, I loosen the lugs and tighten them down properly.

  I also anticipate my stops, so having to get on the brakes real
hard doesn't usually happen except for emergencies. I ride with a
lot of people who will speed up to a stop sign and then get on the
brakes real hard, we'll still be going 50mph what seems like mere feet
from the sign! :-) I prefer to coast to the stop, downshift a couple of
times, and just use the brakes to scrub off the last 20-30mph or so.
I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I'm still on my 2nd set of pads,
but some folks I know go through 'em like candy! :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'