Re: Remote starters

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 20:22:31 EDT

"\(MAGNUM S/T\)" <hoegen@kersur.net> wrote:
: I was lookin at an old thread and it got me thinkin:

: Remote starters...I assume you can only use these with AUTOMATICS right????

  Well... There's "can" and "should"... ;-)

  I have remote starters on my Dak and my Ram. The Ram is an auto, the
Dak is not. Yes, I did leave it in gear once, and yes, I have a nice dent
in both my shop wall and my rear bumper to prove it. I now leave it off
most of the time (in-cab switch). When I want to be able to remote
start it, I leave it running, put it in neutral, enable remote start with the
in-cab switch, then use the valet take over mode to keep the truck running
while I remove the keys from the ignition, and get out. I then lock the doors
and shut off the engine with the remote. I also am careful to never remote
start it unless I have a clear view of the truck, so I can abort if it
starts to move. When I leave the truck somewhere and don't want to be able to
remote start it, I disable it with the in-cab switch, and as an added measure,
I leave it in neutral with the emergency brake on if I am reasonably sure its
level, otherwise I put the emergency brake on and leave the tranny in 4th
which would hopefully stall the engine and starter rather than causing the
truck to move. I over-rode the clutch lockout such that the remote
starter doesn't need the clutch to be pushed in to start the engine, but
I still have to push in the clutch to start it with the key. (I don't
recall exactly what I did, I think I tied in to the line "downstream"
of the lockout.) Is it worth all that? Yeah, I guess so. :-) I don't
use it so much now that I've got the Ram 4x4 for winter. I do like
to let the engine run for a couple of minutes before driving though,
so I use it for that mostly.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'