Re: Camshaft help!!!!!

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 21:06:37 EDT

During my 360 teardown at 112k miles, I noticed a lack of wear indications. Only
very slight scuffing in a couple of cyls on the lower part of the cyl - not what
I expected to see considering how the small-blocks are prone to wear there.
Maybe the much tighter tolerances in the Magnum series - the piston-to-bore and
bearing clearances come to mind - they are roughly half what the LA motors were.

The heads were also in good condition. I contribute this to the excellent
casting work as of late. I had the opportunity to inspect the innards of the
water pump as well. I was prepared to replace it - not looking forward to a
cheaper replacement pump - but discovered that it still looked factory fresh.

Considering this, I decided to spend the saved money and do some durability
upgrades. I buttoned her back up w/a new camshaft (actually a used MP cam),
lifters, double row roller timing chain, windage tray, HV oil pump, pan, pickup,
thermostat and all new Fel-Pro gaskets.

Now she makes more power, cut 4-6 tenths off my previous best quarter mile times,
sounds and revs smoother and faster than from the factory (and this is a 5000+lb
truck!)

I say go for it and let what you find inside dictate your next moves.

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI TB Pulleys RTcam MPComp HVoilpump DynaGearDoubleRoller
WindageTray CompTAs