Re: DML BBQ PICS UP!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 00:23:06 EDT

jbleazard@sympatico.ca wrote:
: I know exactly how I would set up a snorkel on the '95. I've got lots of room
: in the engine bay to work with. Now all I need is the proper motivation to
: start cutting holes in the fenders...

  Ouch. :-)

: The way I wanted to do it is pretty easy. I'd just put the stock air hat back on
: and route some PVC pipe or something similar over to it. Punch it through
: the fender, and make a snorkel up to the top edge of the window.

  Hey, here's a crazy (?) thought... Get a '97+ air hat, and hook up
some dryer vent to it, and run it to the firewall on the passenger
side. Cut a 3" hole in the firewall, and mount a piece of 3" PVC or
exhaust tubing in it, with maybe 3" protruding into the engine bay. Seal
it real good with epoxy, silicone or both. The dryer vent connects
from the air hat to the tube with hose clamps. (You could use that
rubber exhaust tubing the shops use; might create a better seal, more
expensive though.) The "sleeper" snorkel! Unless you open your doors,
the engine should keep getting air, and you don't have to cut anything
really important. As a bonus, nobody is the wiser. "Hey, look at that
Dak going through that mud pit, he's gonna sieze his engine for sure!
(5 minutes later) Hey..... How did he do that?" ;-) You would need
to figure a way to cap it for when the snorkel isn't in use though;
maybe you can just clamp a rubber "cap" over it, or if you used a
piece of pipe or PVC with a thread, you could screw a cap onto it.

  A couple of drawbacks that come to mind though are if you *did* open
your doors, your engine is breathing water. This could be fixed by
having it protrude a few inches into the passenger footwell though and
using some more dryer vent to route it higher in the cab. Also, the
engine will be breathing the same air you need to, so you're going to
need an outside source of air. That probably means you're not going
to be able to go any deeper than the bottoms of your windows, or the
bottom of the slider; not without getting water in the cab anyway. Hey,
I know, get a sunroof. :-)

  Hey, I told you it was a crazy idea. ;-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'