5.9 (360) ROD BEARINGS

From: SEMIHEMI01@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 17:27:24 EDT

    I learned something new today. (I hope I do everyday) but to the gist of
it. I was at my dealer today just talking to some of the techs and I was
shown two 360 short blocks that just came out of two fairly new trucks, 1
with 6000 miles and 1 with 16,000 miles. Both had rods knocking. I was shown
the reason for this problem. It seems that during assembly, the rod bearings
were too loose for the plasti-gage to mash out to the right width so the
assembler hit the rod cap with a hammer to make it spread out to wide enough
to pass. In one block,You could see where 4 out of 8 rods had been hit hard
enough to leave a nice dimple left by a ball peen hammer head. The other
block had 2 out of 8 with the same marks. they were all hit in different
places on the flat part of the cap. Only those that had been hit were the
ones with too much clearance. SEEMS both of these engines were assembled in
Mexico. I was told that rumor has it, all the Non-Hemi's will be assembled in
Mexico in the future.
Bill

SEMIHEMI01@AOL.COM> KB SuperCharged, 4.7L, 2001, QC,
http://hometown.aol.com/semihemi01