RE: supercharger tuning bernd?

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 08:52:00 EDT

Chuong,

(1) Use a V8 Throttle Body (preferably with V8 cable as well for ease of
installation)
(2) 3923 Spark Plugs
(3) A good ignition coil
(4) 180 Degree T'Stat
(5) Boost Bypass Valve (not the MAP/Boost Bypass Valve) REQUIRED for
anything at 9# or above (also helps with 6# but not really required)
(6) Headers (recommended but not required unless you plan on higher
boost levels - 9# really wakes up the V6 and they don't blow head
gaskets like the 5.2/5.9's)
(7) Get rid of the Powerdyne Filter...it only flow 339CFM and the blower
flows 850CFM @ 6#. The S&B Filters (or K&N) 6"x9" Cones fit perfectly
but you will have to build a small bracket to hold the filter steady
(this goes for the V8 folks as well...Powerdyne has been made aware of
their screw-up with the filter being way too small for the S/C...it's
with R&D right now.)

The Superchips ICON allows you to custom program your timing curve in
400rpm increments (+/- 20 degrees at each increment starting at 1600rpm
and up to 7000rpm). I don't run a BTM at all...just my Digital-6" (Rev
limiter set at 5500rpm) and the Superchips box...and I just installed a
custom built Billet Pulley from WorldWide Performance Parts (11#) for
testing...no pinging with Super Unleaded and a bottle of ProBlend "Nitro
Power". (I set my timing curve right at the detonation point, back it
off .5 degree across the board, and add a bottle of ProBlend. Runs VERY
well and is real "peppy" across the board.

If you're running an IAT Adjuster, set it at 70 degrees...no colder on
the S/C'd V6. The FMU compensates for the boost and the factory
injectors will keep up. 9# or higher, you'll need to swap out to the
FMS 24#...and they don't run rich at idle on the V6's at all.

The diagram for the MAP/Boost Bypass Valve setup is here:
http://www.speedtweaks.net/Boost_Bypass.htm You can use the FMU line to
tap into but with 9# or higher, move the line to a different vacuum
source.

- Bernd