Re: air fuel gauge?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 01:15:56 EDT

"Chuong Nguyen" <dester223@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Hey, I want to get an air/fuel gauge with a dual pillar pod for my 97
: dakota. Does anyone have any recommendations on which gauges to go for and
: what not to go for?

: so far. I see autometer's gauges that have 20 leds in them (do they get
: annoying when you're driving?) dynotune that has a digital read out and is
: supposidly exact to .001 volt readings. both are under 100 bucks but i'd
: like feedback on both gauges.

   I like the Nordskog (Formerly Intellitronix, formerly Cyberdyne) "analog"
A/F gauge. I think you should be able to find a pic at:
http://www.intellitronix.com/

  You can get them via Summit for cheaper prices than listed on their
site though. (Once you have a part number, put "NRD-" in front of it
in the Summit part number search box.)

  Anyway, I like the "analog" because you can see the needle flipping
back and forth. (Its not really analog, its digital, but most folks
call it analog because it has a pointer instead of LEDs or a readout.)
Probably would be less annoying than the LEDs, IMHO. Don't bother
with the digital readouts that give you a voltage; for A/F gauges,
that's analagous to measuring with a micrometer and cutting with a
dull hatchet. Unless you have a wide band O2 sensor (Daks don't), the
sensor is only accurate at 14.7:1 (.5v). You're really looking
for trends anyway. I also suspect the digtal readouts would be
unreadable at anything except open loop anyway, due to the rapidly
fluctuating voltage. (And your truck will spend the vast majority of
its time in closed loop; open loop will happen mostly at coast and WOT,
as well as briefly at startup.)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'