Re: NASCAR's cop-out

From: Paul Macey (pmacey@ans.net)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 13:22:21 EDT

Well this ain't over yet as Bill Simpson said in a few months, he is going
to present his side re: the seatbelts (don't you get the feeling that
indirectly, NASCAR is still holding the seatbelt and/or Simpson the guilty
party?) and more facts will come out.

Bill put the blame on NASCAR for knowing that DE had improperly installed
his seat belts for years, but always let him through inspection...the
circumstances of the accident finally caught up with DE.

However, think about it...out of the 2 million seatbelts Simpson has
manufactured, certainly, one could have been bad (still think the
circumstances of the accident and the two hits, promoted the 'dumping' of
the belt and was ONE of the contributing factors in DEs death, though the
independent investigators from that Orlando paper flat out said the
seatbelt was not the cause, after reviewing the autopsy photos,
something I believe NASCAR did not do. As a matter of fact, I don't think
NASCAR even worked with those investigators or at least compare notes
with, if so WHY?

Regardless, the 3 deaths last year had nothing to do with 'faulty'
seatbelts and/or were the belts even mentioned as a contributing
factor...is NASCAR going to ignore those incidents and just sweep the loss
of those 3 drivers under the rug this trivializing their deaths and
ignoring some data that could prevent more deaths?