Re: Re: front brakes need replacement!!

From: Paul Bullerman (hemikota@home.com)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 23:52:57 EDT

They (slotted rotors) can be resurfaced, BUT, you have to find someone who
knows how to do them. More important is the technique. Alot of shops wont
even look for the "high spot" in a warped rotor. They just hogg a few
thousandths off and be done.
Find the highest spot and run the lathe in and out, then set it 2 tenths in
on the first cut, let it run out, run another 2 tenths in on the next
cut...etc..until you get a smooth cut.
then reduce the speed and do a final cut.
Ive seen rotors so warped even 2 tenths stopped the lathe, just because the
highest point was never found. Plus I have cut rotors on an, amco lathe,that
had rust holes on them at least a half an inch in dia. It made a bit of
noise but still cut them true.
P.S. Cutting drums really sucks...I hate drums..esp w/o a silencer band...it
will give you nightmares....
HTH
Paul