Re: What's this sound like?

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2001 - 00:32:11 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Yep, probably not a bad idea. Try to do it when the truck is cold
> so you'll have more time to feel around before the pipes get hot. You may
> want to dip your hand in water and feel around the pipes (the evaporating
> water will make it easier to feel a small leak; plus if you accidentally
> hit a hot pipe, the water may absorb some of the heat, and the "fssst!"
> sound of vaporizing water should be a motivating factor to move your hand
> quick. :-) Its not a lot of protection, but bettter than nothing...)

I'm going to start on the "in" side of the muffler and work from there, as
it sounded like it was coming from really far back. Hopefully I can track
it down with the visual and no-water methods.

> You can also just look for black soot on the outside of the pipe
> (obviously
> you don't have to do that when the engine is running) :-) If you don't
> find anything obvious, you might want to try getting some baby powder and
> going along the exhaust, making a cloud of the stuff; if you get to a
> leak, you should be able to see it blowing around the baby powder
> particles. (Bearing in mind, of course, that any cloud of powder, even if
> non-flammable is a potential explosion hazard.)

Baby powder can explode? I'll watch out.

> Have fun! :-)

Yeah, loads of fun, I've got 3 hours of backcountry driving tomorrow to
drop my sister's computer off in Oneonta and help her move into her dorm.
And the whole time I'll just be thinking about an exhaust leak.

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com