Re: What's this sound like?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 22:03:24 EDT

Andy Levy <andylevy@yahoo.com> wrote:
: My friend pointed out to me today that it sounds like I have an exhaust
: leak. I thought everything sounded normal, but living with the truck every
: day, things can gradually appear that I probably don't notice getting
: louder.

: It sounds like it's coming from well behind the cab and on the right side.
: Given the history of cats on the DML, I thought maybe it had gone bad but
: this morning I had a healthy amount of water dripping out of my tailpipe
: this morning while idling and last I checked the cat was under the cab.
: Time to crawl under with the engine running and check around the pipes?

  Yep, probably not a bad idea. Try to do it when the truck is cold
so you'll have more time to feel around before the pipes get hot. You may
want to dip your hand in water and feel around the pipes (the evaporating
water will make it easier to feel a small leak; plus if you accidentally
hit a hot pipe, the water may absorb some of the heat, and the "fssst!"
sound of vaporizing water should be a motivating factor to move your hand
quick. :-) Its not a lot of protection, but bettter than nothing...) You
can also just look for black soot on the outside of the pipe (obviously
you don't have to do that when the engine is running) :-) If you don't
find anything obvious, you might want to try getting some baby powder and
going along the exhaust, making a cloud of the stuff; if you get to a leak,
you should be able to see it blowing around the baby powder particles.
(Bearing in mind, of course, that any cloud of powder, even if non-flammable
is a potential explosion hazard.)

 Have fun! :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'