RE: Oil Pressure

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 00:05:10 EDT

Well, first off, PLEASE get that Quaker crap out of your engine!!! I
attended a class at college where we did a study of all of the oils/filters
available, and Quaker crap did not fare well at all! Now- your oil pressure.
My 4.7L has never showed less then 40 lbs of pressure. 90 percent of the
time, it runs at the 3/4 mark(last white mark to the right of 40). Only
after running on the freeway for more than an hour or so, or after idling
for more than 30 minutes at one time will I see the pressure fall back to
halfway between the 40 mark and the 3/4 mark. And that is only at idle,
w/the A/C off(idle at 500 rpms instead of 600). If I run the A/C and it
bumps the idle speed up, the pressure runs back to the 3/4 mark. I change my
oil when I service my truck(every 2000 miles)and I only run Valvoline
all-climate 5w-30(from sealed bottles, not from a bulk tank), and a Napa
gold filter(a Wix filter with a better bypass valve, spring, and a little
more filtering media).I fill the filter as much as possible with fresh oil
to minimize the dry-start condition an empty filter creates. I will be
installing an oil filter relocation kit and a large oil cooler at my next
oil change which will hopefully keep the oil a little cooler. The filter
relocation kit will allow me to use (2) PH8A equivalent filters in series
for better filtering. HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html