Re: Hurst Shifter & 2001, NV3500 tranny

From: Aajaynefour@cs.com
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 12:54:22 EDT

Bill,

Whatever you do, do NOT reuse the stock gasket. If you look closely at the
way it is designed you will see that the factory shifter has shims or spacers
that will not allow the gasket to be compressed beyond a certain point. If
you try to reuse the original (factory) gasket, you will slice it to pieces
thereby causing a leak at the top of your tranny. The resulting mess
....?????.... well you can guess. I made this mistake and reported my
"findings" to Hurst, encouraging them to include some language in the
literature to warn people of this potential pitfall. Hopefully they did.

Good luck, and let me know if your shifter is louder (noisier) in 5th gear
than 4th, 3rd etc.
Andrew