Re: Body or suspension lift

From: Jay Moyer (jsmoyer43@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 14:13:42 EDT

Most of the time that you catch something on the trail it is the frame
in the center, (because jeeps are so short they go over something
instead of centering on an object) so if you dont lift the suspension
you will gain very little usable ground clearance. The clearance below
the differental is nice to have but normally one doesnt have problems
with this on the trail, and no you dont lose clearence, on a solid front
axle the differential stays in the same place, just the frame is raised
higher above the axle, the same thing goes for an ifs, brackets move the
suspension lower raising the frame above them, no clearence is gained or
lossed at the differential frame to a lift system, only tires can change
that. Also, one thing about body lifts, in the off road club that I
belong to a few people have been in accidents and 2 of those accidents
had bad endings due to body lifts. When you do a body lift you put
plastic blocks between the frame and body. These blocks dont have much
in the way of friction like the oem rubber mounts and the extra length
bolts have more leverage because they are longer. When these two trucks
got into accidents the bolts sheared/broke and the cab came off the
frame(not a good thing). I would recommend putting grade 8 bolts in
place of the grade5 that come with most body lifts, its a little extra
money but I knew 2 people that if they were alive today would problably
want grade 8 now.