Re: Body or suspension lift

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 09:35:30 EDT

There isn't really a good suspension lift for Daks due to the IFS and the
fact that the demand isn't there like it is for Chevy & Ford full-size
trucks. After 2 years there still does not exist a suspension lift for
2000 and up Dakotas. Everyone is "working on it" - for the last year!

The Tuff Country 5.5" lift looks good at first, as it retains your
suspension geometry, but it's a very difficult install for even the best
gearheads, and a lot of people have had trouble after installation. Not to
mention the rather high price tag for the kit itself. There is a 3" lift
by Rancho I think but that changes your suspension geometry quite a bit and
there aren't a whole lot of folks using it.

Either way, you don't get to add very large tires to the truck. 33" at
most.

Biggest problem with lifting an IFS truck - you actually LOSE clearance
because the new suspension bits dangle lower. Per Murphy's Law, you WILL
catch those dangling bits on the trail. The larger tires you add will get
you back to roughly the same ground clearance.

I haven't heard of anyone with trouble with their body lifts 'round here.
With a 3" lift and a very slight trim, you can put 33s on a Dak with
some rubbing at full lock. And not damage/modify your suspension in the
process. You'll truly gain 1" of clearance (half the tire diameter change)
with 33" tires.

A body lift is much cheaper and safer long-term, you get the same size
tires, and don't lose ground clearance.

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com